Congratulations are in order for some of the district’s top speakers.
Students from Ravenwood High and Brentwood High will travel to Birmingham, Alabama, for the National Speech and Debate Association Tournament this summer following their performance at the state national qualifying tournament March 4.
The RHS team is coached by Elise Dirkes-Jacks and Brian Kaufman. The BHS team is coached by Harriet Medlin, Matt Grimes and Bette Lordeman.
As the tournament began March 3, a representative from the Tennessee General Assembly was on hand to read a resolution commemorating March 3 as National Speech and Debate Education Day. Tennessee is one of the few states in the nation to recognize this special day, which is designed to recognize the teachers and students who are involved in speech and debate education.
Congratulations to the following students who placed at the Tennessee NSDA National Qualifying Tournament and advanced to nationals:
Public Forum and Debate
- First place: Adam Novak and Sudeep Ghantasala, Ravenwood High
- Second place: Preston Johnston and Riya Jain, Ravenwood High
- Third place: Shreyas Kumar and Harry Westbrook, Brentwood High (alternates)
Extemporaneous Speaking (International Topics)
- First place: Preston Johnston, Ravenwood High
Extemporaneous Speaking (Domestic Topics)
- First place: Andrew Brown, Brentwood High
- Third place: Sam Anctil, Ravenwood High
- Fourth place: Carson Schlem, Brentwood High (alternate)
Tennessee District Student of the Year
- Preston Johnston, Ravenwood High
TN NSDA Debate Sweepstakes Award
- Ravenwood High
TN NSDA District Sweepstakes Trophy
- Ravenwood High