Mitigation Strategies - Fall 2021
Last Updated August 20, 2021
Do not come to school if you are sick.
- Families and staff are asked to review the updated WCS Illness Guidelines for specific examples of illness when students and staff should NOT attend school or work.
New Mitigation Strategies Effective August 23, 2021
- Visitors are limited to those with essential school business.
- No lunch visitors are allowed.
- Volunteers are limited based on essential tasks needed in the school, and elementary school volunteers are required to wear a mask when interacting with students.
- Assemblies during the school day are limited to those determined to be essential to the operation of the school.
- Indoor assemblies will not be held during a time of "high spread" in the school.
- Field trips limited to venues honoring WCS safety protocols.
- Masking is strongly recommended, encouraged, and advised for all students, staff and visitors while inside a WCS school, WCS facility and the Central Office.
Additional Mitigation Strategies Effective August 11, 2021
- Masks are required for students, staff and visitors at the elementary grade levels inside all buildings and on buses until September 21, 2021, at 11:59 p.m. unless there is an opt-out/mask exemption on file with the school. Teachers who are distanced six feet or more may remove their masks.
- Positive case individuals will be excluded from school per Board Policy 6.403, Student Communicable Diseases.
- Social distancing of three feet will be in place whenever possible.
- When social distancing is not possible, cohort grouping will be recommended.
- Outdoor classroom activities will be encouraged.
- Outdoor dining possibilities will be encouraged.
- Walking through the hallways will be designed to keep students as far apart as possible.
- When a positive case has been reported in the school by a parent/guardian or staff but not yet verified by test results, a notice will be sent by the school to all families whose student was either in a class, grade level or group associated with the potential positive COVID-19 "report." This is intended to give parents/guardians notice to watch for signs/symptoms of the virus to best determine if the student should or should not attend school.
- Continued good hand washing practices with soap and water will be in place. Hand sanitizer is secondary to soap and water but will be available at all schools.
- Elementary schools will refrain from using community supplies.
- High touch surfaces will be cleaned as a standard aspect of the custodial services operations.
- Maintenance Department will continue to monitor and care for the HVAC systems.
- The Health Department still has a responsibility to investigate and interview COVID-19 cases, contact trace and issue guidance on isolation and quarantine.
- Individuals who are quarantined by public health cannot attend on-campus school, work or extra-curricular activities.
- Students who are consistently wearing a well-fitting mask will be exempt from quarantine if they are greater than three feet away from a positive case individual and the positive case individual is also wearing a mask as described above.
These mitigation strategies are subject to change.