Schools of the Week: Grassland Elementary, Hillsboro School - Elementary
Published April 19, 2022
The Schools of the Week spotlight is shining on Grassland Elementary and Hillsboro School (Elementary). Here are a few things that make their schools special.
- "We are GES" is all over Grassland Elementary, and the students follow the BE (responsible), SHOW (respect) and DO (your best) model.
- The community support and volunteers help make Grassland Elementary great.
- GES offers a variety of before and after-school opportunities in academics, athletics and the arts.
Kindergarten students at Grassland Elementary are celebrating spring in both English and science classes.
Students in Jennifer White's class used magnetic letters to write sentences to match spring pictures. They also listened to a spring story and wrote about their favorite parts of the season.
"I am extremely proud of how my students navigate their way through literacy centers," said White.
In Michelle Heard's class, kindergartners learned about the growth cycle. As they planted the seeds, students shared their "class magic" by blowing kisses to help the seeds grow.
Hillsboro School (Elementary)
- In 1933, the Hillsboro School building was rebuilt after a lightning strike.
- Outside of the school gym, Heritage Hall celebrates the rich historical legacy in photographs.
- Hillsboro's Performing Arts Center was dedicated in 2012.
Family activity was the name of the game during PE class at Hillsboro School.
For a week, students invited family members to join them in the gym and participate in a variety of games. It was an opportunity for relatives to see what their children do during the school day.
"A parent reached out after seeing another school do a PE with Your Family Day, and we decided that, especially with such a small community here at Hillsboro, it was a great idea," said HEMS PE teacher Colleen Duggan. "Inside and outside of school, most activities that involve adults and their students see everyone divided into different activities. We wanted to do something where adults and their students were having fun while getting exercise together."