Substitute Management Training/STEDI
Williamson County Schools is pleased to announce a new Online Substitute Training Program, in cooperation with Utah State University, Substitute Education Division (STEDI). This 6-10 hour course of study includes an assessment for substitutes to take at the end of the course. Upon successful completion of the course and test, substitutes will receive a SubDiploma. Williamson County Schools require a composite score of 85% on the SubAssessment to show successful completion. In addition, we require a High School Diploma or GED to be considered for employment.
Are you exempt from taking the STEDI course by meeting one of the below requirements?
All Substitute Teacher applicants that do not meet at least one of the below requirements must satisfactorily complete this course before being considered for employment. Once you have received a composite score of 85 or above, you will need to attach the SubDiploma to your application. You will be EXEMPT from taking this course if you meet at least one of the following requirements:
- Hold a Teaching License from any state (active or expired)
- Have completed ninety semester college hours in a teaching preparation program
- Have completed student teaching
- Are currently enrolled in a Master’s program in Education
- We require teachers who have an expired license by 10 years to take the STEDI course if they have not worked in an education environment within the past 10 years.
- Previous Williamson County Schools Classified employees who have been employed within the last 3 years and have left in good standing**.
If you do not meet one of the above requirements, you will need to take the online STEDI course (opens in a new window). The course is $39.95. If you encounter any technical issues, please feel free to contact STEDI directly by e-mail at email@example.com (opens in a new window) or phone at (800)-922-4693.
Verification of exempt status is required. To be exempt from the online training course, you will need to attach your diploma, transcripts and/or licenses to your online application. Additionally, the HR Director, or designee, may decide to mandate this online management course to any substitute who seems to be having difficulty with classroom management.
Frequently Asked Questions
- No, Williamson County Schools does not guarantee employment to any applicant who completes this course. All applicants who meet the require criteria will be contacted as quickly as possible.
- Yes. Substitute Teacher Applicants must pay a one-time fee of $39.95 to access the Online SubOrientation Course and the SubSkills Course. As part of the chapter on “fill-in activities”, this one-time fee will also give you access to over 75 fill-in activities that can be downloaded and printed at your leisure.
- Go to http://mylearning.stedi.org/ to register then go to ‘Purchase Courses’. Purchase the ‘SubSkills Online Training Course’ for $39.95.
- Once you purchase the training, you will gain 24 hour access, seven days a week. However, your access to the training will expire one year from the purchase date.
- You will need a computer with Internet Explorer 7+ or Firefox 2+ installed. To hear the audio and video clips you will also need speakers or headphones connected to your computer. You may also order a handbook to supplement your training. You may take the SubAssessment portion at the library.
- Direct all questions regarding the course itself to a STEDI representative that can be reached by telephone at 1-800-922-4693 ext. 1 or email at (firstname.lastname@example.org). You may also do a live chat online through the website. Their office hours are Monday-Friday from 8:00 AM – 4:30 PM, Mountain Time zone.
- Substitute Teacher applicants, who do meet the criteria for exemption, will need to attach the SubDiploma showing a composite score of 85 or above to the online application at www.wcs.edu before being considered for employment.
- Yes. Effective March 1, 2015, the cost for fingerprints will be $38, however we can initiate a refund after the substitute has worked 10 days as a substitute.
- Yes. A new hire orientation class is required for all hired Substitute Teachers. We have orientation classes all year round on the dates listed in the link below. Since the orientation classes are planned several weeks in advance, please come fully prepared with the required items listed in the link below. Substitute Orientation Information and Requirements: https://www.wcs.edu/careers/subtitute-teaching/open-substitute-orientations/
- Pay is based off of experience. Our pay scale specifically lists (PDF opens in a new tab) what we pay for each of the four pay levels for substitutes.
- If you have questions relative to the application process or working with Williamson County Schools, please e-mail email@example.com (opens in a new window).
- We have a policy of, “No news is good news.” If you have submitted paperwork please give us a week at minimum to process it. The HR Specialist will be in touch with you if there is any further information required from you at that time.
- You will receive an email from the HR Specialist with your employee number and pay rate. Several days later, you should receive an email generated from AESOP/ FRONTLINE with your ID and Pin. Several days must be accounted for the applicant to be processed by payroll before they can be added into AESOP/FRONTLINE.
- No. Fingerprinting is only used for a single investigation. We will require all new or returning applicants to submit fingerprints before orientation.
- The HR Specialist is in the office from 6:30am to 3pm every day school is in session. If a call is made after hours, it can be directed to the HR Secretary at 615-472-4050.
- No, if a substitute has not had a break in service with our district, they are not required to attend an additional orientation to be reactivated.
- Long-term subbing or subbing in a specific area comes down to networking. Substitutes will need to get to know the staff at their preferred schools in their preferred subject areas to get placed on a ‘teachers preferred sub list.’ It is a list each teacher has that offers vacancies to preferred subs first before posting them on the main AESOP/FRONTLINE site.
- Interim positions are posted on our main career site (opens in a new window). Applicants for these positions must be certified in the specific subject area and hold a current TN Teaching license.
- You must be a part time employee with our district and serve in a position that is list below a .8 Part-Time position. You will be required to submit paperwork that will be provided by the HR Specialist. You will NOT have to attend orientation if there was no break in service.
- If you had a break in service (not employed by WCS at the time of application) you are required to attend Substitute Orientation. At that time you will also have to go through the entire rehire process and submit all required documents, fingerprints and references.