New Substitute Applicants
Williamson County Schools hire Substitute Teachers from time to time and regularly leaves the application process described in this web page open. The best qualified applicants will be selected at the time the district needs to increase the size of the Substitute pool or fill specific needs.
Williamson County Schools is pleased to announce a new Online Substitute Training Program, in cooperation with Utah State University, Substitute Education Division (STEDI). This 6-10 hour course of study includes an assessment for substitutes to take at the end of the course. Upon successful completion of the course and test, substitutes will receive a SubDiploma. Williamson County Schools require a composite score of 85% on the SubAssessment to show successful completion. In addition, we require a High School Diploma or GED to be considered for employment.
Who will need to complete this training course?
All Substitute Teacher applicants that do not meet at least one of the below requirements must satisfactorily complete this course before being considered for employment. Once you have received a composite score of 85 or above, you will need to attach the SubDiploma to your application. You will be EXEMPT from taking this course if you meet at least one of the following requirements:
- Hold a Teaching License from any state (active or expired)
- Have completed ninety semester college hours in a teaching preparation program
- Have completed student teaching
- Are currently enrolled in a Master’s program in Education
- We require teachers who have an expired license by 10+ years to take the STEDI course if they have not worked in an education environment within the past 10-15 years.
- Previous Williamson County Schools Classified employees who have been employed within the last 3 years and have left in good standing**.
** You are exempt from taking the STEDI, however you can ONLY fill Classified positions. (This only applies to former Teacher Assistants, Secretaries, and Bookkeepers)
Verification of exempt status is required. To be exempt from the online training course, you will need to attach your diploma, transcripts and/or licenses to your online application. Additionally, the HR Director, or designee, may decide to mandate this online management course to any substitute who seems to be having difficulty with classroom management.
Frequently Asked Questions
- Yes. Substitute Teacher Applicants must pay a one-time fee of $39.95 to access the Online SubOrientation Course and the SubSkills Course. As part of the chapter on “fill-in activities”, this one-time fee will also give you access to over 75 fill-in activities that can be downloaded and printed at your leisure. The course also contains access to the online SubAssessment where your best score will be showcased on your SubDiploma.
- You will need a computer with Internet Explorer 7+ or Firefox 2+ installed. To hear the audio and video clips you will also need speakers or headphones connected to your computer. You may also order a handbook to supplement your training. You may take the SubAssessment portion at the library.
- The SubAssessment is an evaluation of how well you have studied. The test is divided into five parts. Each part should be taken AFTER you have studied the chapter associated with that particular section. If your score is low, go back to that same section and study the chapter again before re-taking the assessment. You are given 6 attempts for each section to get your best score. Do not waste them! You are welcome to take whatever time you need to study between test attempts. The composite score is not an average – your classroom management score is approximately 52% of your composite score, the other sections are about 12%.
- Direct all questions regarding the course itself to a STEDI representative that can be reached by telephone at 1-800-922-4693 ext. 1 or email at (email@example.com). You may also do a live chat online through the website. Their office hours are Monday-Friday from 8:00 AM – 4:30 PM, Mountain Time zone.
- Substitute Teacher applicants, who do meet the criteria for exemption, will need to attach the SubDiploma showing a composite score of 85 or above to the online application at www.wcs.edu before being considered for employment.
- Yes. A new hire orientation class is required for all hired Substitute Teachers. We have orientation classes all year round on the dates listed in the link below. Since the orientation classes are planned several weeks in advance, please come fully prepared with the required items listed in the link below. Substitute Orientation Information and Requirements: https://www.wcs.edu/careers/subtitute-teaching/open-substitute-orientations/
- If you have questions relative to the application process or working with Williamson County Schools, please e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org.