CGES Character Development
This year, we will continue to implement Character Class to focus on strong character development at CGES. Each month, different grade levels will meet with their respective Character Class buddies and work through a character lesson. Students will spend time learning about each character key and discuss ways to use these traits in their daily lives.
Speak honestly and kindly.
- Speaking in manner that moves others or the group forward and speaking positively
- Being responsible for honest and direct communication
- Avoiding gossiping
- Thinking about your words before speaking
- Speaking honestly and respectfully
Someone who speaks with good purpose THINKS before they speak:
T – is it Truthful?
H – is it Helpful?
I – is it Inspiring?
N – is it Necessary?
K – is it Kind?
Take Responsibility for Actions
- The quality of accountability and responsibility
- The ability to be counted upon and the willingness to take responsibility for the choices you make
- Acknowledging your feelings and actions and being responsible for your choices
- Not blaming others or making excuses
Live Your Best Life
- Focusing on what is meaningful and important to you
- Taking care of ourselves physically, mentally, and emotionally
- Making choices about what’s important
- Balance comes from the ongoing adjustments we make to continue moving in a positive, healthy direction
Flexibility is the willingness to try something different when we realize what we’re doing isn’t working. Many times every day we are faced with situations that are different from what we had originally planned. When this happens, we have a choice. We could keep doing the same thing in the same way or we can try to be flexible.
Flexibility is not getting locked into one way of doing something. When we recognize something isn’t working, we try something new.
Match Behavior with Values
- The state of authenticity when our values and behavior are aligned
- Integrity happens when what we value is evident in our actions
- Honesty, truth, and honor
- Trustworthiness, dependability, and sincerity
Learn from Mistakes
- Failure provides the information we need to learn so we can succeed
- If at first you don’t succeed, try again
Make the Most of Every Moment
- The commitment to focus our attention on the present moment and the willingness to make whatever we are doing most important
- Live in the now
- Making the most of what you have
- Be observant and pay attention
- Giving every task your best effort
- Do whatever it takes
- Follow your vision without wavering
- Keep your promises to yourself and to others