Educating Students About English
Williamson County Schools provides English as a Second Language (ESL) instruction for students who qualify as English Learners. Federal and State laws, as well as WCS School Board policies, guide the purpose, structure and content of this program.
The purpose of the ESL program is reflected in the Student Programming Goal of the WCS School Board’s Strategic Plan: to offer high-quality, equitable student programming and facilities to produce graduates prepared to further study and compete in a global society by being fluent in English.
The mission of the WCS ESL Department is to meet the language needs of English Learners and help them achieve the high academic standards expected of all students.
Program Goals and Content
The ESL program educates English Learners in a way that respects individual diversity, ability, intellect and character. The ESL Department provides English classes to non-native English speakers who qualify for services. The department supports students and teachers through a variety of services including:
- pull-out programs
- scheduled ESL classes
- inclusion support
- other appropriate resources
All of these services are available to any WCS student who has been identified as an English Learner by the approved Tennessee Department of Education language proficiency screener or assessment.
The curriculum is designed to meet the needs of students at each level of English proficiency through:
- English reading, writing, grammar, listening and speaking skills
- one-on-one or small group instruction
- daily ESL classes for credit in high schools
- curriculum that corresponds to WCS Scope and Sequence
- close collaboration with classroom teachers
- vocabulary building and communication techniques
- materials and strategies according to student needs
- WCS ESL Brochure: English // Spanish
- WCS Enrollment
- Tennessee Department of Education: English Learners
For adults who need English for Speakers of Other Languages (ESOL), please contact:
Adult ESOL Classes
Workforce Essentials Adult Education
118 Seaboard Lane, Suite 109
Franklin, TN 37067