In keeping with the mandate from the Individuals with Disabilities Education Act (IDEA), Williamson County Special Education aims to provide the Least Restrictive Environment (LRE) for all students. This means the door to schools, classrooms and school activities are open to every student and they are afforded every opportunity to be included with their non-disabled peers.
A continuum of services is available for each student based on the Individual Education Plan (IEP) team decision on the placement of those services. The focus is on giving each student the help he or she needs to learn.
Williamson County Schools Believes:
- All individuals are important and valued
- All individuals have unique needs and abilities
- All individuals can learn and succeed
- All situations are unique
- All individuals deserve a safe education environment
- All individuals have access to all services
- All members of the community impact the learning experience of all individuals
- All individuals have access to training their knowledge and skills
- All individuals develop to their fullest potential when educators, parents, students and the community work together and provide a seamless learning environment
Disabilities Eligible for Service in Tennessee
Under the IDEA, there are specific criteria for special education eligibility. There are also specific criteria for eligibility for special education under the Tennessee Department of Special Education. Visit the Special Education page on the Tennessee Department of Education’s website for more information.