Elementary School Counselors help students learn the skills and attitudes necessary to be successful learners and citizens. They emphasize to students that the classroom is their first workplace. Developing skills in communication, decision-making, interpersonal relationships, and career awareness are all important in life. In fact, they are also foundational in a counseling relationship. School counselors strive to build rapport and trust as they maintain the highest professionalism and follow their ethical code for confidentiality. The Williamson Elementary Counseling Team follows the American School Counseling Association’s national model as presented below. They especially strive to practice and model the targets of advocacy, leadership, collaboration, and systemic change.
Longview counselors strive to meet the needs of the students.
Individual Counseling- If you feel that your student is in need of additional support to reach their potential socially, academically or personally please contact Julie Culp or Kat Plummer to express your concerns.
Small Group Counseling- Small groups will be forming that will meet throughout the school year, typically during lunch. Each group will meet for approximately 6 sessions and focus on a specific topics. Potential topics may include:
- Banana Splits
- Students dealing with families in transitions
- Mission Transition
- 5th graders focusing on the transition to middle school
- School Stars
- Students working on social skills and/or positive school behaviors
- Students in need of a few extra coping skills to better manage their mood.
- Stress Busters
- Students dealing with stress or anxiety related to school.
- Up, Up, and Away!
- Students in need of a self-esteem boost.
- New Student Lunch Bunch
- We strive to meet with all new students to help connect them with friends and introduce Longview’s school counseling services. This is a more informal group and will typically only meet one time.
- I'm Not Scared I'm Prepared
- Students discussing fears related to school lockdown, fire and tornado drills.
- Banana Splits
- Individual Counseling
- Small Group Counseling
- Whole Class Guidance Lessons
- Staff Professional Development and Parent Education Workshops
- 504 Plan Coordination (Julie Culp)
- Assist with Be Nice! initiatives
- Consultation with parents, teachers, and administration