The school nurse is a uniquely qualified individual that bridges the gap between healthcare and education. If students have medical needs that require accommodations to participate in a school setting, the school nurse will collaborate with the parent or guardian, healthcare provider, and school personnel to develop individual health plans to meet the students’ health needs during the school day. This includes but is not limited to, nursing procedures, medication management and emergency care planning. Nurses prioritize their day based on types of medical issues that students have within the individual schools.
The school nurse is an advocate for quality care, which leads to better academic achievements for our students. In Williamson County Schools, school nurses are assigned to specific schools and oversee the school health clinics to ensure student health needs are met and the spread of communicable disease is minimized. School nurses play a vital role during pandemics and work closely with public health to ensure the decreased spread of infectious diseases and keep kids safe. If your child is sent to the clinic for evaluation, the school nurse will complete an assessment and determine if the student is safe to return to class or needs to be sent home according to our illness guidelines and/or communicable disease policy.
The skills, abilities and knowledge of the school nurse promote the health and wellbeing of students and staff through evidence-based practice. Each of our nurses in Williamson County Schools comes with a unique professional background including Family Nurse Practitioners, Master of Science in Nursing, bachelor's degree in nursing, Associates in Nursing, and Licensed Practical Nursing. 12 of our school nurses are National Board-Certified School Nurses which accounts for 1/3 of the total state certifications in Tennessee.
Health at School
- Allergy and Anaphylaxix Emergency Plan Form: To be completed for any medications related to severe allergies/anaphylaxis.
- Asthma Action Plan: To be completed if your child has been diagnosed with asthma.
- Plan de acción para la escuela en caso de asma
- Food Allergy Packet: To be completed if your child has been diagnosed with food anaphylaxis.
- Medication Authorization Form: To be completed if your child will require medication that must be given during the school day.
- Formulario de autorización para medicamentos
- Procedure Authorization Form: To be completed if your child has medical procedures requiring nurse assistance during the school day.
- Formulario de autorización para procedimientos
- Seizure Action Plan: To be completed if your child has been diagnosed with seizures.
- Plan de acción para la escuela en caso de convulsiones