Keeping the District Running
The Williamson County Schools (WCS) Maintenance Department is a service-minded group of men and women focused on providing the students, faculty and staff of the district with the best learning environment possible. The department’s job is to assure that the facilities where learning, teaching, working and playing take place are well-maintained, clean, comfortable and safe.
What Makes Up the Department
The Maintenance Department consists of multiple teams: Carpentry, General Maintenance, Plumbing, Painting, Playground/Safety, Locksmith/Access Control, HVAC and Electrical. Additionally, we have multicraft teams assigned to zones in Fairview, Nolensville, and Independence-South.
The Contracted Services Department oversees: Custodial, Mowing, Pest Control, Fire Extinguishers, and Gym Floor Refinishing and Sanding.
In July 2017, WCS and Trane began implementation of a broad range of energy-saving infrastructure improvements with a goal of comfortable and energy-efficient learning environment for everyone in the district. The energy saving resulting from these upgrades are financially guaranteed by Trane over a contract term of 15 years.
The buildings are conditioned to satisfy normal comfort requirements of occupants which should be established with due consideration for energy conservation. The following operational parameters were collaboratively agreed upon by WCS and Trane set for occupied and unoccupied times: 68 degrees (occupied) to 60 degrees (unoccupied) in heating mode and 74 degrees (occupied) to 80 degrees (unoccupied) in cooling mode.
Indoor Air Quality
The Maintenance Department holds the health and well-being of WCS students and teachers in the highest regard. The department utilizes a district wide Buidling Automation System (BAS) to maintain and monitor the heating, ventilation and air-conditioning in the district assuring Indoor Air Quality is held at the highest standard.
After Hours/Weekend/Holiday Emergencies
The WCS after hours/weekend/holiday emergency number is: (615) 815-8368.
If you do not reach a supervisor/technician, please leave a voice message and also send a text message with the nature of the emergency, your name, and a phone number where you can be reached. A supervisor will contact you promptly. If you do not receive a prompt call back, you may contact the Assistant Director of Maintenance at (615) 917-3709.
Make sure to inform the Principal about the emergency.
An Emergency is any condition that presents an immediate danger to personnel or the facility, or that could disrupt school operations if left uncorrected.
Examples of Emergencies:
- Inability to secure the building
- Fire or imminent fire hazard
- Uncontrollable flooding due to roof leak, pipe rupture, extreme weather, etc.
- Complete heating failure that could lead to freeze damage in water systems (interior temperatures below 50°F)
- Total power outage
- Vandalism or break-in that is severe enough to impact school operations
- Weather-related facility damage (roof, structural, lightning strike, flash-flood, etc.)
- The person reporting the emergency, or other key contact person, must remain at the site until a technician/responder arrives. The technician may not know the site well and the key person may need to provide directions and answer questions about the cause of the emergency and any immediate actions already taken.
- The technician who responds will only address the immediate emergency to mitigate the hazard, prevent further damage, and ensure school operations can resume.
- Once the emergency is corrected and stabilized, additional follow-up actions or repairs will be deferred to the next normal work day.
Examples of Non-Emergencies:
- Partial Power loss
- Loss of AC or heat (within the human comfort range of 60°F to 82°F)
- Inability to close an interior door
- Minor leak that can be fully contained with a bucket or trash can
- Dripping faucet
- Broken fixture that can be secured and removed from service
- Failure to schedule use of a facility in advance via the WCS facility use request procedure.
- Requests for grass cutting.