Opportunity for Short and Long-Term Substitutes
Substitute teachers are an integral part of the student learning process. Responsible, compassionate, dedicated individuals who are enthusiastic about teaching and learning are encouraged to substitute teach in the district.
How to Become a Substitute Teacher
Complete all steps listed below. You may also begin to prepare the other listed items for your application.
- Submit the online Substitute Teacher application.
- Review the Substitute Fingerprint Packet, complete the fingerprinting process, and attach the signed Background Check Privacy Notice to your application.
- Send the reference link to two professional references. One reference must be from a former supervisor and neither can be a relative or friend. The references will need to complete the online form and submit it on your behalf.
Once we have received your completed application, signed Background Check Privacy Notice, and cleared fingerprint results, we will email you further instructions. Please view below for other required items included in those instructions.
- Official Transcripts – Please provide copies of all official transcripts reflecting your conferred degree and date earned. Unofficial transcripts are not accepted. If not applicable to you, please submit an official high school diploma.
- Completed STEDI Certificate or Proof of Exemption – Please complete the online substitute training (STEDI) course and send your certificate of completion with a score of 85% or higher. You are responsible for the cost of the course. If you qualify for one of the exemptions listed below, please send your official proof of that exemption.
- Have a current/active teaching license from any state
- Are currently enrolled in a teaching preparation master’s program in Education
- Have an expired teaching license from any state that expired within the last 10 years
- Have completed 90 or more semester college credit hours in a teaching preparation program within the last three years
- Have completed student teaching within the last three years
- Former Williamson County Schools teacher assistants who have worked a minimum of 60 days within the last three years and left in good standing
- Completed online onboarding form for Substitute Teachers - the direct link for this will be included in the email with further instructions.
- Orientation and I-9 Verification – all applicants will be required to attend orientation and bring ID documents for verification. Information about orientation and I-9 verification will be emailed to you once all other items required for your application have been submitted.