Guide to Health Services

  • Published July 29, 2019

    Keeping students healthy and in class is the WCS Health Services department’s goal. To help achieve this goal, all Williamson County schools are staffed with a licensed registered nurse.


    All medications, both prescription and non-prescription, must be brought to the school nurse by a parent/guardian with a completed WCS Medication Authorization Form.  A new form is required each school year. Parents can print authorization forms by selecting Health Forms on the WCS Health Services page.

    Other than emergency medication, students are not permitted to carry their medications on-hand. This includes vitamins, cough drops and over-the-counter pain relievers.

    Illness Guidelines

    The priority is to keep all students healthy and in school. If a child is not feeling well, refer to the WCS Illness Guidelines to determine if he or she should remain at home. Contact a health care provider or school nurse for additional guidance.


    A Tennessee Certificate of Immunization is required for each new student before the first day of attendance. Students entering seventh grade need an updated immunization certificate. Review the WCS Immunization and Physical Exam Letter or Tennessee Department of Health website for additional guidance. Parents can get a certificate of immunization from a Tennessee Health Department or Tennessee licensed health care provider.

    Health Needs

    If a child has a medical need requiring accommodations or emergency care during the school day, a school nurse will work with the family and the health care provider to establish an Individual Health Care Plan addressing those needs.