Courses of Study
Brentwood High offers a variety of courses including many dual enrollment, dual credit, and AP level courses. For each and every course, we strive to challenge our students every day with highly rigorous curricula, bell-to-bell instruction, and strategies designed to facilitate learner success at all levels.
Organization of the School Day
There are eight periods in the school day, with a period in the middle of the day for lunch and academic intervention. Students are generally scheduled for six credit classes and one study hall. Students may request a seventh credit class in lieu of a study hall.
BHS follows the semester system with 4 nine-week grading periods. Class periods are 47 minutes with eight periods per day when following the normal schedule. The school year is 180 days with school hours from 7:40 AM to 2:47 PM.
Courses offered at BHS may require a sufficient number of student registrants in order to be offered during the year. If there is not sufficient interest in a particular course, it may not be provided during the upcoming year. Many of our classes have recommendations that are listed prior to the course description.
Courses are offered at the following levels:
- Advanced Placement (AP) Courses: designed to prepare a student to earn college credit through the successful completion of the AP Test in a particular subject area.
- Honors Courses: a challenging pace designed for students who have displayed a record of academic success.
- College Preparatory Courses: all courses are considered college preparatory unless specifically labeled otherwise.
- Resource Courses: open only to students who have been approved and placed in the course through their Individualized Education Plan (IEP).
Upon graduation from Brentwood High School, students will have completed:
- English Language Arts – 4 Credits
- Math – 4 Credits
- Science – 3 Credits
- Social Studies – 3 Credits
- Personal Finance – 0.5 Credit
- Wellness/Physical Education – 1.5 Credits
- World Language – 2 Credits
- Fine Arts – 1 Credit
- Elective Focus – 3 Credits