Hillsboro School began as a private school in the Leiper’s Fork community and was purchased by the Williamson County Board of Education in 1905. The school continued at the same campus until a lightning strike in 1930 burned the original buildings. In 1933, Williamson County Board of Education rebuilt the facility. Hillsboro’s enrollment increased to 550 students in 1976 with the consolidation of Burwood and Evergreen Schools. In 1979, high school students were dispersed to Franklin and Fairview High Schools. Just outside the Hillsboro gym doors is Heritage Hall, a special hallway celebrating Hillsboro’s rich historical legacy in photographs. A new four million dollar facility was built in 1981, and in 2012, the Hillsboro Performing Arts Center was dedicated. Today, students who graduate from Hillsboro Middle Elementary school continue their academic careers at Independence High School.