We are the Franklin Rebels!

At Franklin High School our motto “A Tradition of Excellence” is evident by the success of our students in academics, the arts, and athletics. Our mission is to provide an engaging environment that challenges all students to reach their full potential and become lifelong learners who are responsible, respectful, contributing member of the local and global communities.

Franklin High School Beliefs

  1. All students can learn.
  2. Students are individuals with unique physical, social, emotional, and intellectual needs.
  3. Students should take responsibility for their learning and behavior.
  4. Students benefit from a variety of instructional approaches.
  5. Classroom instruction relates curriculum to real-world experiences.
  6. Student success is celebrated through diverse academic and extra-curricular activities.
  7. An effective school combines the efforts of administrators, students, faculty, staff, parents, and the community to develop policy and make important decisions.
  8. Student achievement and understanding is measured through a variety of assessments.
  9. Every student has a right to attend school with a safe environment and an atmosphere conducive to learning.

A Tradition of Excellence

Franklin High School has a long and rich history of providing education to the young people of Williamson County. It began in 1910 with twenty students and two teachers in a few upstairs rooms of the Franklin Institute, the old Franklin Elementary School, located at Five Corners. That first Franklin High School graduated three students in 1912. One of the early principals was an educator by the name of Nell Shea. In the fall of 1926, the new Franklin High School opened its doors on a site atop a hill on Columbia Avenue. G.E. Craddock was the principal when this move was made, and he carried with him a staff of ten teachers and a senior class of 33. In 1936, William Claude Yates became principal of Franklin High School. In addition to serving as principal, Mr. Yates also taught agriculture. In 1941, when FHS first became accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools, it had 13 teaching staff members and a senior class of 53. Daly Thompson, who earlier had served as superintendent of schools while teaching Bible and science at Franklin High School, became principal in the early 1950’s.

In 1955, Barry Sutton became principal, and it was during his first year, January 1956, that the building on Columbia Avenue burned, leaving only the gym and a few basement classrooms standing. Local church buildings were pressed into service until a new building was constructed on the present site. It consisted of 19 classrooms, a gym, cafeteria, library, study hall, offices and three shops. With a staff of 19 and a senior class of 72, Mr. Sutton and Franklin High School moved into the new building over the Thanksgiving holidays in 1957. During Mr. Sutton’s tenure, the building was enlarged, and by 1967 the senior class numbered 184 with a teaching staff of 45. Carl Owen served as principal for one year, 1967-68, and it was during his administration that Natchez High School and Franklin High School were combined, with both campuses housing Franklin High School students. D.W. Sanders became principal in the fall of 1968, and in 1971 Carl Pike became principal. During his tenure, another addition was added to the building, and by 1981 the senior class numbered 442. In 1982 Brentwood High School was opened, pulling most of its student body from the ranks of Franklin High School. Bob Lawson, formerly an assistant principal and guidance counselor, became principal of FHS in 1987, and during his year of service, another major addition and renovation project was inaugurated.

In 1988 Doug Crosier was named principal and the 9.5 million dollar renovation and addition was completed. Franklin High continued its steady growth, so much so that Centennial High School opened in 1996 to accommodate the growing Franklin/Williamson County area. Dr. John Calton was appointed as principal for the 2000-01 school year. After Dr. Calton resigned in the summer of 2001, Dr. Linda Miller became the principal for one year.

In the summer of 2002 Mrs. Willie Dickerson was appointed the current head principal. Franklin High School’s tradition of excellence established over the past 93 years has continued. Over the past six years, 19 students have been named National Merit Scholarship semifinalists, and test scores have remained well above state and national averages. In 2000 Franklin High became the first high school in Tennessee to be accepted as an affiliate member of the International Baccalaureate Program. In July 2004 the IB organization announced that all ten of the first graduates were awarded IB diplomas. Franklin High also excels outside the classroom, with a nationally recognized band program, active forensic and vocal music programs, numerous student clubs and organizations, and competitive athletic programs in every sport sanctioned by the TSSAA, including 10 state championships in women’s soccer in the past 11 years. Today the school numbers over 1700 students.

During the summer of 2004 construction for a new 18 million dollar building began in front of the old building built in 1957. Most of the 400 Hallway was demolished, the building reconfigured for the main entrance in the back, and ten portables positioned behind the Field House to carry on instruction on the same site that the new building was being erected. Faculty, staff and students moved into the new building in January 2006.

The much anticipated widening of Hillsboro was recently completed and we still continue to grow. In January 2018, Franklin High opened the renovated Annex with 16 new classrooms. Formerly known as Yates Vocational before becoming the Williamson County site of Columbia State Community College, the annex has a history almost as long as Franklin High.