School History

Home » Our School » Who We Are » School History

About Grassland Middle

Grassland Middle School was opened in 1986 for 500 students in grades five through eight. The building’s first principal was Dr. Ann Vaughn. In 1990 Walnut Grove Elementary School was opened and the fifth graders were moved back to the elementary school. This dropped the enrollment to 450 sixth, seventh and eighth grade students who were served by sixteen classroom teachers and six support staff. In that same year Mr. Barry Watkins was hired as the building’s second principal. He remained principal until 1999 when he  was named Director of Middle Schools for Williamson County.

Today, with Dr. Darren Kennedy as principal,  the enrollment consists of approximately 1000 students.   Eighty-two staff members provide educational services in regular education, related arts and special education programs.

Contact Us

GRASSLAND
Middle School

  • 2390 Hillsboro Road
    Franklin, TN 37069
  • (615) 472-4500
  • (615) 472-4511
Grassland Middle School