The Williamson County Board of Education celebrated student athletes during its June 15, 2015, meeting.
The Ravenwood Girls Tennis Team earned another TSSAA Championship in Class AAA during Spring Fling. Team members are Angel Asirvatham, Annie Cobb, Sammy Fogelberg, Rachel Hudson, Natalyn Jones, Rilee Kaliher, Jasmine Puria, Emily Stone, Julie Wasack, Emily Wiseman and Michelle Xu. Their coach is Robbie McCammon.
Brentwood’s Somer Henry won the Girls Single Tennis Class AAA State title. Her coach is Coach Bill Jayne. In Boys tennis, Steven Karl from Ravenwood won the TSSAA State Championship for Boys Single Tennis, Class AAA. His coach is Robbie McCammon.
WCS students won several state championships in track and field events. The Brentwood Boys Track team of Chase Puskar, Francois Llorens, Ryan Lee and Waqqas Fazili won the State Championship 4×800 Meter Relay, Class AAA. Ron Seigenthaler is their coach. Brentwood’s Hailey Hendry won the TSSAA State Championship in both the 1600 Meter Run and the 3200 Meter Run, Class AAA. Coach Ron Seigenthaler is her coach. Centennial’s Jordan Thomas won the TSSAA State Championship for the Boys 200 Meter Dash, Class AAA. His coach is Shawn Carter. Ravenwood’s Matt Rainey won the State Championship in the Boys 800 Meter Run Class AAA. Peter Mueller is his coach, and Ravenwood’s Amber Tanner won the State Championship for Girls 300 Meter Hurdles Class AAA. Her coach is Peter Mueller. Brentwood’s Sofie Rovenstine won the TSSAA State Championship for the Girls Long Jump, Class AAA. Ron Seigenthaler is her coach.
Page student Peter Leichner won the State Championship in Boys Pole Vault, Class AA. His coach is Peter Wade. Also from Page, Mary Leichner won the State Champion in Girls Pole Vault, Class AA. Her coach is Peter Wade.
In the Superintendent’s Report, Dr. Mike Looney thanked Professional Development Director Laurette Carle and her team for the excellent learning opportunities being provided to staff over the summer.
Board Chairman PJ Mezera announced that the Board would review Dr. Looney’s contract at the July meeting.
In New Business, the Board:
- Approved $300,000 for Recruitment and Retention Incentive Funds for 2015-2016.
- Approved hiring rates for teachers, principals, assistant principals, curriculum specialist, academic supplements and classified employees for 2015-2016.
- Approved six Board policy revisions on first reading including Heating and Lighting, Semester and Final Examinations, Sick Leave – Educators, Sick Bank – Educators, Sick Leave – Classified and Sick Bank – Classified.
- Approved an intra-category budget transfer for the Education Capital Program Fund.
- Approved end of year budget amendments for the General Purpose School Fund, Central Cafeteria Fund and Extended School Fund.
- Approved a 2014-2015 School Budget Amendment to accept a $15,000 donation from Nissan.
- Approved 2015-2016 PECCA MOU Changes.
In other business, the Board:
- Approved recommended field trip fee requests.
- Approved the Worked-Based Learning policy on second reading.
- Approved ePlan Applications and Budgets for 2016 Federal Projects to include ESEA, IDEA, IDEA Discretionary Grant, IDEA Pre-School, Carl D. Perkins Career and Technical Education Act of 2006, Career and Technical Reserve Grant, Superintendent Authorizations.
- Approved ePlan Applications and Budgets for Carl Perkins Incentive Grant, 2015, and Title III, Immigrant Supplemental Grant 2015.
- Approved a Brentwood High football entrance gate.
- Approved a Brentwood High soccer storage building.
- Approved an Edmondson Elementary storage shed.
The next regular meeting of the Williamson County Board of Education is scheduled for Monday, July 20 beginning at 6:30 p.m. in the auditorium of the Administrative Complex.
Board packet information can be found on the school district’s website www.wcs.edu. Select About WCS; select Board Meeting Schedule; select the meeting date; and then select Agendas. Supporting documents are linked from the agenda.