Tis the season for science competitions. Middle and high school students from across the district have been busy participating in numerous competitions including the ones listed below:
The Chemistry Olympiad Sectional Competition took place March 4 at Tennessee Technological University in Cookeville. Though there is not a state competition, the next competition level is on the national stage. National competitions will take place on April 21 at Tennessee Technological University and on April 23 at Belmont University.
- Franklin High – Kyra Frank and Rhett Britton will compete at the national competition.
- Ravenwood High – Two teams competed and finished in first and second place. Garrett Foran and Jerry Lu will go on to the national competition.
- Summit High – One team competed and finished in third place. Myranda Uselton and Isaac Shirk will go on to the national competition.
Regional level Science Olympiad competitions took place at Middle Tennessee State University on February 27 and Tennessee State University on March 5-6.
Schools attend the regional competition that is geographically the closest to them. There is a middle school division and a high school division. The state level of the Science Olympiad will take place April 9 with five Williamson County Schools participating.
Science Olympiad at MTSU:
Middle School Division:
- Brentwood Middle – Placed first overall and will compete in the state competition on April 9 at the University of Tennessee at Knoxville.
- Grassland Middle – Medaled in nine of 23 events with many second and third place finishes.
- Hillsboro School – Medaled in nine events; 37 students total competed.
- Spring Station Middle – Placed first in Mission Impossible and placed third in both Anatomy and Physiology and Reach for the Stars.
- Sunset Middle – Placed third overall and will compete in the state competition at the University of Tennessee at Knoxville on April 9.
- Woodland Middle – Placed third overall and will compete in the state competition at the University of Tennessee at Knoxville on April 9.
High School Division:
- Brentwood High – Placed fifth overall.
- Centennial High – Finished first place in the Robot Arm event.
- Franklin High – Placed fourth overall and will compete in the state competition April 9 at the University of Tennessee at Knoxville.
- Ravenwood High – Placed second overall going on to the state competition at the University of Tennessee at Knoxville on April 9.
The 2016 Science Bowl took place February 26-27 at Pellissippi State Community College.
- Brentwood High – Placed fourth.
- Fairview High – Won the Civility Award (voted on by peer teams).