Newly elected members to the Williamson County Board of Education were sworn in prior to their first official meeting on September 19, 2016. New members and their districts include Angela Durham, First; Eliot Mitchell, Third; and KC Haugh, Eleventh. Members reelected to the Board and their district include Anne McGraw, Fourth; Gary Anderson, Fifth; Robert Hullett, Seventh; and Rick Wimberly, Ninth.
The Ravenwood High Chamber Choir, under the direction of Lauren Ramey, performed prior to the meeting.
During the meeting, Gary Anderson was reelected as Board Chairman, and Anne McGraw was elected Vice Chairman.
Students and staff members were honored during the meeting. In athletics, Brentwood High Cheerleaders Mary Kate Randolph and Laura Provence were honored for being named All-State Cheerleaders by the Tennessee Cheerleading Coaches Association. Their coach is Mandy Bicsak.
In the arts, the Franklin Wind Ensemble was recognized for being chosen as the Induction Ensemble at the 2017 Tennessee Bandmasters Hall of Fame. Their band director is David Aydelott. While the Franklin Percussion Ensemble was also chosen for the 2017 Sandy Feldstein National Percussion Festival Percussion Ensemble. Their band director is Michael Holland.
In staff spotlights, Franklin High’s Betsy Taylor was honored as the Tennessee Foreign Language Teaching Association Teacher of the Year.
In the Superintendent’s Report, Dr. Mike Looney called on Deputy Superintendent Jason Golden who reported that the district buses have plenty of fuel to transport students to and from school.
In the Board Chairman’s Report, Anderson reminded the group that the last community meeting on school start times is Tuesday at 6 p.m. at Fairview Middle School. He also encouraged Board members to attend the annual College Fair on Wednesday, September 28 at the CoolSprings Galleria from 5:30 p.m. until 8 p.m. He also announced that the Marching Band Exhibition had been rescheduled for Tuesday, October 4 beginning at 7 p.m. at Page High.
In New Business, the Board:
· Approved two policies on first reading including Regular Meetings and Board Meeting Preparation and School Attendance Areas, Zoning and Nonresident Students.
· Approved the Adoption and Approval of Board Goals for 2016-17.
· Approved the Adoption and Approval of Superintendent Goals for 2016-17.
· Approved a 2016-2017 School Board General Purpose Fund Amendment for tutors and related expenses from United Way.
· Approved a Re-Designation of Capital Funds for roofing.
In other business, the Board:
· Approved recommended field trip fee requests.
· Approved three policies on second reading including Annual Agenda, Curriculum Development and Reduction in Staff.
· Approved 2016-2017 management personnel for the Collaborative Conferencing Team.
· Approved the 2017-18 Calendar Committee membership.
· Approved 2016-2017 School Board meeting dates.
· Approved the 2016-2017 Annual Agenda.
· Approved a bus driver tuition program pilot.
· Approved the High Point Church of Spring Hill lease at Summit High School.
· Approved the Allendale Elementary playground pavilion and buddy bench.
The next regular meeting of the Williamson County Board of Education is scheduled for Monday, October 17, 2016, beginning at 6:30 p.m. in the auditorium of the Administrative Complex.
Board packet information can be found on the school district’s website at www.wcs.edu. Select About WCS; select Board Meeting Schedule; select the meeting date; and then select Agendas. Supporting documents are linked from the agenda.