Newly appointed District 10 School Board member Eric Welch was sworn in prior to the September 21, 2017, Williamson County Board of Education meeting. Welch is taking over the seat vacated by Beth Burgos. In addition, the Board was treated to a performance by Hillsboro School’s One Voice under the direction of Susan Stumne.
School Board Chairman Gary Anderson was elected to another term as Chairman and Nancy Garrett was elected Vice Chairman.
Nolensville Elementary was honored for earning the 2017 Let’s Move! Active Schools National Award. Their PE teacher is Deborah Russell, and their principal is Paula Waits. Two teachers were recognized for being named 2017 American Geographical Society Geography Fellows, Cassie Bates from Centennial and Jessica Clouse from Fairview High.
In the Superintendent’s Report, Dr. Mike Looney thanked those who worked with the district in the Tennessee Volunteers for Texas campaign to provide school supplies to victims of Hurricane Harvey. They included Sheriff Jeff Long and the Williamson County Sheriff’s Office, Kenny Wallace and the staff at the Ag Expo Park and members of the Berry’s Chapel Church of Christ and Grace Chapel Church. He also recognized the Thompson Station Church for its donation of $23,370 to the schools in the southern part of the county.
In the Board Chairman’s Report, Gary Anderson shared that the College Fair held on Wednesday was a success.
The Board named the three new schools that will open with the 2018-19 school year. Jordan Elementary is the new Brentwood area elementary school, and Thompson’s Station Elementary and Thompson’s Station Middle are the names of the new schools in that area.
In New Business, the Board:
- Approved a 2017-2018 School Board Budget Intent to Fund budget resolution for Page MS and Page HS Phase I .
- Approved a Williamson County Government Memorandum Of Understanding regarding ESCO Savings.
- Approved a declaration of surplus property.
- Approved on policy on first reading, Child Abuse and Neglect.
In other business, the Board:
- Approved recommended field trip fee requests.
- Approved five policies on second reading including Purchasing, Interscholastic Athletics, Family and Community Engagement in Educational Programs, Report Cards and Grading Systems, Use and Parking of Private Motor Vehicles on School Property by High School Students.
- Approved the 2017-2018 Management Personnel for Collaborative Conferencing Team.
- Approved the 2018-2019 Calendar Committee membership.
- Approved the High Performing School District Flexibility Act.
- Pulled a proposed donation of school buses for Hurricane Harvey relief as the buses are not needed.
The next regular meeting of the Williamson County Board of Education is scheduled for Monday, October 23, 2017, beginning at 6:30 p.m. in the auditorium of the Administrative Complex.
Board packet information can be found on the school district’s website www.wcs.edu. Select About WCS; select Board Meeting Schedule; and select the meeting date. Supporting documents are linked from the agenda.