This year’s Academic All-Star for Bethesda Elementary School is fifth grader Cole Harper.

Teachers and administrators say Cole is a model student who serves as a great example to others.

“Cole always puts his best effort into his work and seeks assistance when he needs it,” said BES Principal Jill Justus. “Cole also exhibits outstanding character on a daily basis. We are proud to name him our Academic All-Star.”

Having attended Bethesda since kindergarten, Cole says he feels lucky to be part of such a great school.

“I really like the teachers here,” said Cole. “They are nice, and they help us whenever we need it. Also, I like that the school is not real big. It’s not easy to get lost.”

Cole’s favorite subject is math, although it’s his interest in history and geology that may determine his career path.

“When I grow up, I want to be an archaeologist or do something with rocks,” said Cole. “When I was in kindergarten, I found a green rock that looked like an emerald, and since then I’ve always enjoyed looking for rocks.”

Some of Cole’s other interests include Brazilian jiu jitsu which he has practiced for years and student council.

“Right now in student council we are making posters for a toy drive,” said Cole. “It’s fun knowing that some kids who may not normally get toys will get some this year.”

As he continues his fifth grade year, Cole says he will work hard to try and improve every day.

“Whenever school gets tough or I miss a question on a test, that helps me know what I need to learn,” said Cole. “That way, I can try to work harder because there’s always something I don’t know.”

The Academic All-Star award is given to students who exhibit a positive attitude and a commitment to excellence in the classroom. Each Academic All-Star is chosen by his or her principal and receives a framed certificate, free food from Sonic Drive-In and other gifts from the district.