Alumni Achiever – Christin Hagan Waters, CHS Class of 2004

Alumni Achiever Christin Hagan smiles for the camera

Williamson County graduate Christin Waters is making a name for herself in The Magnolia State. Having lived in Mississippi for more than decade, Waters was recently named to The Meridian Star’s “Top 20 Under 40” for her work with the American Cancer Society.

Waters grew up in Franklin and attended Trinity Elementary, Page Middle and Centennial High before earning a degree in hospitality management at the University of Mississippi. She currently works as a Senior Manager in Community Development for the American Cancer Society.

What led you to work in this field?

I want to make a difference every day and feel like I’m making an impact in someone’s life. We all know someone who has been touched by cancer, so I’m hopeful that one day we will eradicate this horrible disease and no one will have to ever hear the words “you have cancer” again. That is what motivates me.

What are some of your job responsibilities?

I oversee income development community managers in the State of Mississippi. We focus on Relay for Life and Making Strides Against Breast Cancer. Each year, I have a goal to bring in an average of $1,700,000. I also focus on mission awareness, which means I try to help people understand the importance of early screenings. This year, we are focused on helping the public understand how the HPV vaccine can protect girls from ever receiving cervical cancer.

What do you enjoy the most about your job?

I am most proud of the interactions I get to have with people who have been positively affected by the American Cancer Society. That always makes me feel great about what I do.

What did you enjoy most about your high school experience?

I wish I could tell you mathematics, science or English, but the greatest impact took place in my marketing class and home economics. We learned a lot about interior design and other interesting topics.

What WCS teacher made a difference in your life and how?

My marketing teacher was Lisa Jones. She made each day enjoyable in what we were learning. Each year students had to develop a product and market it. We took our projects and competed on a local level, state level and nationally if we qualified. My group made it to nationals. Mrs. Jones was a great champion and mentor, and she really pushed us for success. She took the time to care for each student that walked through her door personally and educationally.

Do you have any advice for current WCS students?

Enjoy every minute. As cliche as it sounds, high school really does fly by in an instant. Study hard but take the time to enjoy the other aspects of life. AND BE KIND!

November 8th, 2018|Categories: District|Tags: , , , |