Academic All-Star – Taylor Barrier, Fairview Elementary

• Academic All-Star Taylor Barrier smiles while holding her award

Eleven-year-old Taylor Barrier is a student leader at Fairview Elementary.

The gregarious fifth grader is known as a role model who is quick to stand up for her peers, so it came as no surprise when she was recently chosen as Fairview Elementary School’s Academic All-Star for the 2018-19 school year.

“Taylor is someone who demonstrates responsibility and shows an unwavering commitment to hard work,” said her teachers. “Each day she comes to school with a positive mindset, a willingness to ask questions and a determination to do her very best.”

As she begins her final semester at Fairview Elementary, Taylor says the school will always hold a special place in her heart.

“The friendships I’ve made here mean a lot to me,” said Taylor. “Everyone is so nice and understanding. Also, the teachers helped me when I was struggling with spelling and math. With my teachers’ help and my friends’ support, everything was easier.”

Taylor’s favorite subject is social studies because she likes to learn about history. When she’s not in school, Taylor enjoys playing with friends. She’s also involved in sports, choir and horses.

“Because my grades were good last year I was allowed to go to horse camp for a week, and it was really fun,” said Taylor. “I got to jump horses, groom them and learn how to saddle a horse.”

As for a future career, Taylor wants to be a lawyer when she grows up. And now that she is officially an Academic All-Star, Taylor knows the sky is the limit.

“This makes me feel like I can do anything now.”

The Academic All-Star award is given to students who exhibit a positive attitude and a commitment to excellence in the classroom. Each Academic All-Star is chosen by his or her principal and receives a framed certificate, free food from Sonic Drive-In and other gifts from the district.