Teachers say fifth grader Troy Mills is a great role model for students at Nolensville Elementary.

His kindness to others and strong work ethic made him the clear favorite for this year’s Academic All-Star.

“Troy exudes Cardinal Pride,” said NES Principal Amanda Fuller. “He is an exemplary student who always works hard while keeping a positive attitude. Troy constantly looks for ways to include his classmates in activities and sees the best in them.”

Troy has been a student at Nolensville since kindergarten and says there is plenty he will miss when he moves to Mill Creek Middle next year.

“The teachers here are great,” said Troy. “They just have a certain way of teaching that I love. I’ve also made some really good friends, and I’ll miss those who aren’t going to the same middle school as me.”

Troy’s favorite subject is social studies because he loves learning about historical events like the Civil War, the Roaring 20’s and the Great Depression. Outside of school, Troy’s hobbies include both baseball and basketball.

“I used to play football too but not anymore,” said Troy. “Baseball is my favorite sport. I just love being part of a team and interacting with my teammates.”

Troy says he’s not sure what he wants to be when he grows up, but he’s hoping his fifth grade trip to JA BizTown will help. BizTown is a simulated town where students run businesses, earn paychecks and vote in elections.

“I’m going to be the CEO of Journey’s at BizTown,” said Troy. “I might get some ideas about what I want to do while I’m there.”

With only a few months left in the school year, Troy plans to enjoy the rest of his time at Nolensville Elementary before moving on to middle school.

“I was feeling kind of nervous about it, but my cousin is at Mill Creek Middle and he has told me stuff about the school so I’m not as worried anymore.”

In fact, Troy says all of those emotions can take a back seat to the one he’s feeling now: joy.

“I’m just surprised I won this award,” said Troy. “I just feel happy and really emotional.”