Jason Golden has been named the Superintendent of Williamson County Schools. The Williamson County Board of Education voted unanimously to enter into a four-year contract with Golden during its June 17, 2019, regular meeting.
The Fairview Media Students were honored for winning first place from the The Telly Awards for General Student Winner. Bob King is their teacher.
In athletics, two athletes were recognized for receiving the Tennessee Gatorade Player of the year. In Baseball, Robert Hassell from Independence won. Mike McLaury is his coach. Brandon Parrish from Fairview won for Boys Soccer. His coach is Shane Smith.
Tennis players from Brentwood won several TSSAA state championships. Both the boys and girls tennis teams won State Championships. In individual and doubles competitions, Donovan Janicek won the Boys Tennis Singles; Hamsa Javagal won the Girls Tennis Singles; and Alex Torre and Georgia Fischer won the Girls Tennis Doubles State Champion. The coaches are Bud Robison and Haley Stoever.
Several Brentwood students won first place at the TSSAA State Track and Field competition. The Brentwood boys track team won the team competition; Skylar Coffey won both for discus and for shot put; Jett Kinder won for both the Pole Vault and the Decathlon; and Avery Williams won the Boys Triple Jump. Their coach is Steve Brock.
Centennial athlete Avery McMullen won both the Girls Track Long Jump and Pentathlon State Championships. Her coaches are Marcya Bove and Stanley Miller.
The Franklin Boys Track Team won the 4 x 800 relay. Their coach is Jamie Carolan.
In the Superintendent’s Report, Golden thanked the Board for the vote of confidence in selecting him for Superintendent. He reminded the group that the County Commission will vote on the budget on July 8.
In the Board Chairman’s Report, Gary Anderson reminded the Board that there are no scheduled meetings in July. He also asked them for topics for the Board Fall Retreat.
In New Business, the Board:
- Approved an Intra-Category Transfer General Purpose School Fund Adjustment-SPED Expenses; an Intra-Category Transfer General Purpose School Fund Amendment; an Intra-Category Transfer in the Central Cafeteria Fund Amendment; an Intra-Category Transfer Extended School Program Fund Amendment.
- Approved a General Purpose School Fund Amendment for PreK Training and Curriculum.
- Approved a General Purpose School Fund Amendment – MTSU-CTE.
- Approved the 2019-2020 School Board Meeting Schedule.
- Approved the PECCA Memorandum of Understanding.
- Approved the 2019-2020 Pay Charts.
In Other Business, the Board:
- Approved Section 4 and Section 5 Board policies on second reading.
- Approved the deletion of the Graduation with Honors or Distinction policy.
- Approved the Grace Chapel lease of Fairview Middle School.
The next regular meeting of the Williamson County Board of Education is scheduled for Monday, August 19, 2019, beginning at 6:30 p.m. in the auditorium of the Administrative Complex.
Board packet information can be found on the school district’s website www.wcs.edu. Select District; select Board of Education; select Board Meetings; and select School Board Meeting Dashboard.