U.S. Department of Homeland Security Special Agent Dennis Fetting is coming to a school near you to warn WCS parents about digital dangers.
To help educate parents, meetings have been scheduled at several middle schools around the county. Fetting aims to inform parents about the risks children face online as well as provide tips on how to protect their children. The three main topics of the meetings will be online predators and social media, revealing too much private information and cyberbullying.
“WCS is hosting these online safety presentations across the district to partner with parents to teach our children to use the internet safely and responsibly,” said WCS Elementary Counseling Specialist Molly O’Neal. “The internet world is constantly changing, and we must remain current in social media trends, online predatory practices and cyberbullying tactics.”
During the meetings, there will be example scenarios given from real, local investigations.
The meeting times and locations are listed below. This is a WCS parent-only event.
- Grassland Middle Zone – September 17 at 6 p.m.
- Woodland Middle Zone – September 24 at 6 p.m.
- Hillsboro Middle Zone – September 30 at 6 p.m.
- Page Middle Zone – October 1 at 6:30 p.m.
- Sunset Middle Zone – October 8 at 6 p.m.
- Heritage Middle Zone – October 14 at 5:30 p.m.
- Brentwood Middle Zone – November 4 at 6 p.m.
- Mill Creek Middle Zone – December 5 at 6 p.m.