Renaissance High School is proud to name Ty Jones as its Academic All-Star for the 2019-20 school year.

“Ty is incredibly kind, optimistic and conscientious,” said Renaissance High Principal Dr. Brian Bass. “When I told the staff I was thinking about nominating him, two teachers affirmed the choice within five minutes. He is a very deserving student.”

Now in his third year at Renaissance, Ty says he appreciates the unique culture within the school.

“It’s different,” said Ty. “It’s focused more on what you want to be when you get older. I also get a lot more one-on-one time with my teachers which helps me learn better.”

Although he wants to go to college, Ty say his ultimate goal is to find a career in the video game industry.

“I’m interested in becoming a graphic designer for video games,” said Ty. “I want to go that route too because I can draw really well; I like to code; and I like to play video games.”

Although he sometimes struggles in Algebra, Ty’s teachers say he’s always working to improve.

“We haven’t met a student in this school who is more positive than Ty,” said his teachers. “We see him working on his deficiencies on a weekly basis. He just gets things done.”

And when school is tough, Ty says there’s always someone there to help him along.

“The biggest motivator is my step-dad,” said Ty. “He pushes me to do better. He says, ‘If you want to pursue this as your dream, you have to work for it.'”

Ty’s teachers say he’s not one to shy away from hard work.

“Ty mentioned the other day that he had the opportunity to go to Seattle with his mom and miss a day or two of school,” said his teachers. “He told her he would rather stay here so he doesn’t get behind on his math homework. Ty always completes his assignments promptly, perseveres mightily, and encourages others to do the same.”

For Ty, being named an Academic All-Star is a honor he shares with the teachers who’ve helped him along the way.

“I feel proud,” said Ty. “I can’t wait to tell my mom and my step-dad about this award. I’m also grateful to all the teachers who have really helped me progress to where I am now.”