Read, Learn & Discover in the Mill Creek Elementary Library!
The Mill Creek Elementary School library has close to 9,150 fiction and nonfiction books, professional books, reference materials, DVD, iPads, and other materials available for use by our students and staff. We provide resources and recreational reading materials that enable our students to become both information literate and lifelong readers. Educational technology and professional materials are also available for faculty and staff.
The mission of the Mill Creek Elementary School Library is to provide equal access of materials and resources to our students that will support the school’s curriculum and encourage the love of reading. Our goal is that students will become independent library users of information & technology while also developing into life-long learners with a love of reading.
Mill Creek Elementary will have 2 book fairs during the school year. This is an opportunity for you to purchase books to enhance your home library collection, and you might also decide to enhance your child’s classroom collection by donating a book in your child’s name. These events are very exciting and important to the library. All funds raised by the Book Fairs are used to purchase books and materials for the library. Your support of these events will make a tremendous impact on increasing our library collection with more materials for your students to enjoy reading. Your support is greatly appreciated!
If you are interested in volunteering at either one or both book fairs, please contact our PTO Library Volunteer Coordinator.
The MCES Library gladly accepts monetary donations which allow students to choose from a selection of books to be added to the Library Collection. Families can choose to have the book donated to our Library in honor of student birthdays, milestones, in memory of the life of a beloved family member or pet, or any other special event, occasion or reason that is meaningful to you.
Upon receipt of the donation, the student will be able to choose the book that will be placed in the library collection. A picture of the student along with a name plate for the student and description of the honorarium will be placed in the inside cover. The student will receive a special certificate to keep with all of the information that was placed in the inside cover. And the student will be the first person to check out the donated book.
Thank you for thinking of the MCES Library while you celebrate.
The MCES Library is open to all students from 9:00 AM – 3:30 PM. During Open Check-Out, students can to come to the library when it is convenient for their teacher to exchange library books, conduct research or work on school related projects.
- Each class has a scheduled time to receive library instruction, return books and select new ones. View the 2019 – 20 Mill Creek Elementary Library/Guidance Specials Schedule to find out what color day your child comes to the library for specials class. You can also view the monthly color rotation calendar on Home Page to see if your student will have library or guidance class when they come to the library for specials.
- Individual students may come throughout the day during Open Check-Out with teacher permission.
- Kindergarten – 1 book
- 1st & 2nd Grades – 2 books (1 just right fiction, 1 just right nonfiction)
- 3rd & 4th Grades – 2 books (1 just right fiction, 1 nonfiction)
- 5th Grade – 3 books (1 just right fiction, 1 nonfiction & 1 free choice)
- Please return damaged books to the library for repair. Accidents can and do happen. Pets chew books, younger siblings redesign them, snack boxes leak, etc. Books that become damaged beyond repair must be replaced so others may continue to check them out. A damage bill with replacement costs will be sent home.
- Should a page accidentally rip, please return your book to the library and we will repair the page with special tape.
- Checkout privileges are suspended until arrangements are made between parents and Mrs. Ramirez to take care of Damaged Book Fines.
- There is no fine for overdue books. However, if a student has an overdue book, checkout privileges are suspended until the book is returned.
- Books that have not surfaced in 30 days are presumed to be lost. An overdue bill with the cost of replacing the book will be sent home. Checkout privileges are suspended until arrangements are made between parents and Mrs. Ramirez to take care of Lost Books.
- If a lost book is found within the same year it was paid for, you may return it to the library and our school bookkeeper will issue a refund check. If a lost book is found during another school year, the book is yours to keep.
If you would like to donate some of your valuable time to various projects and tasks in our library, you can email our PTO Library Volunteer Coordinator, or sign up to volunteer during one of the scheduled shifts. The MCES Library is always in need of a volunteer to help.