As the school counselor here at NES, I work with students in various settings and for a variety of reasons. My responsibilities provide both direct and indirect services to our students, staff, and community.
Direct Services include:
- Individual Counseling – please let me know if your student has some concerns or needs that I can help with. I want school to be a comfortable and safe environment for our students (emotionally as well as physically).
- Small Group Counseling – when we have a small group of students (typically 3-6) who have similar needs we can help them develop personal skills in a small group setting. This helps them understand that they are not alone in dealing with difficult situations and they can support each other. Small groups typically meet for 6-8 sessions.
- Guidance Class – As part of the specials rotation, I see all of the students in a two-week cycle. Guidance lessons are based on the state standards and focus on the general areas of personal/social development, academic success, and career introduction. I also incorporate the district’s character words into the Guidance lessons.
- Some of the topics covered in Guidance are goal setting, homework and test taking strategies, friendship skills, conflict resolution, and emotions – identifying, dealing with, and expressing different emotions.
Indirect Services include:
- Consultation with parents, teachers, and administration
- 504 Coordinator
- Building Testing Coordinator
- Charitable contribution distribution