Mandy Derrick, Attendance Secretary
ABSENCES will not be excused unless a written excuse has been received and processed.
- Family Illness
- Death in immediate family
- Religious Holiday
If your student is absent:
- The student’s parent/guardian must call NHS by 9:00 a.m. on the day of the absence. (472-5200)
- The student must bring a note from the parent to the Front Office the day following the absence that includes
- Student’s full Name
- Date of Absence
- Reason for Absence
- Phone Number
- Parent/guardian signature
- Student’s full Name
If your child comes to school late, they must sign in at the front office. They must have a note from their parent/guardian to explain why they are late (or a medical note, court note, etc.). Car Trouble and Traffic are NOT excusable reasons for being late to school. No emails will be accepted for Late Arrivals.
Early Dismissal notes signed by a parent, need to be dropped off in the Front Office before school, otherwise a parent must come to the school to sign out the student and SHOW PHOTO I.D. No verbal requests or emails for early dismissals will be honored.
**A parent signature is still required for students who are 18 years of age. **
**Students will not be excused from class after 2:00 unless an
Early Dismissal Pass is already requested that morning.**
Students who become ill during the day need to report to the school clinic to be dismissed. Otherwise a parent must come to the school and show Photo ID to dismiss their child and follow up with a written note to excuse the absence.
Pre-arranged absences, such as family trips, extra-curricular competitions, college visits, religious holidays, etc., must be pre-arranged at least 5 school days prior to the expected date of absence. NHS has a specific form that will need to be filled out and turned into the front office.
TRUANCY LETTERS/ATTENDANCE LETTERS
- If you receive a letter from the school informing you that your student has 5 unexcused absences, you are responsible for sending in notes to excuse the absence. If written documentation is not received, your student is eligible for Friday Schools. You can check your student’s attendance on Skyward.
- If you receive a letter from the school informing you that your student has 10 absences during the year, the student is required to have a medical note in order to be excused from any future absences. If the required documentation is not received and the student reaches 10 Unexcused absences, you and your student are eligible for Truancy Court. You can check your student’s attendance on Skyward.
- If your student receives 15 unexcused absences in a single semester, the school is required by the State to alert the DMV that your student is Non-Compliant. The result is that the State will revoke that student’s Driver’s License or Permit. You can check your student’s attendance on Skyward.
To request a compulsory attendance letter, please email Joyce Ciccarelli, email address email@example.com, with your students name and their full WCS email address. Requests take 48 hours and can then be picked up in the NHS Front Office.
Compulsory Attendance Laws
- If a student has a total of 5 unexcused absences, a compulsory attendance law letter will be sent to the parent.
- If a student misses ten days, excused or unexcused, then a compulsory attendance law letter will be sent to the parent. After ten days, medical documentation will be required to excuse an absence.
- If a student misses ten consecutive or fifteen total unexcused absences during any semester, then the school must send a letter to the Department of Transportation and the Driver’s License of that student will be revoked.