Residency Requirements

Williamson County Schools verifies student addresses for each student entering a school building for the first time.  Refer to the Student Enrollment Checklist for proof of residency requirements.

Additional Requirements to Enroll a Child in Williamson County Schools

The primary residential parent or legal guardian (custody guidelines found below) must register the student at the school location. The Student Enrollment Form and proofs of residency are required at the time of enrollment. Middle and High School registration requires an appointment with the school’s Counseling Center in order to schedule your child’s classes. Additional items required are as follows:

  • Copy of certified birth certificate
  • School records or address to request transcripts
  • Immunization Requirements
  • Current school physical if it is not (or will not be) included in transcripts. Documentation of physical examination must be within one calendar year of initial enrollment into WCS.

If transferring from another Tennessee public school, a copy of the Tennessee School Immunization Certificate must be presented to the school at time of enrollment. If a copy of the form is not available at the time of registration, the state law permits a 30 day waiting period for the original to be sent from the previous Tennessee public school. If not received after the 30 day period, it will be the responsibility of the parent/legal guardian to obtain a current Tennessee School Immunization Certificate.

If transferring from an out-of-state school, private, or parochial school, an original Tennessee School Immunization Certificate form is required at the time of registration. This immunization certificate may be obtained from a private physician or any medical facility, such as the Williamson County Health Department. The Health Department is located next door to the Williamson County Administrative Complex where the Williamson County School Board office is located. Their office hours are 8:00 AM to 4:30 PM and their phone number is 615-794-1542.

Custody Guidelines

Custody or court-ordered parenting plan documents must be provided at the time of registration in cases of legal custodial, shared parenting, or guardianship placements.

A student cannot attend school without the enrolling party providing a Parenting Plan or proof of guardianship. The legal residence of a student is defined as the domicile of the student’s primary residential parent (court order 1999 and after) or the parent with custody (court order prior to 1999) and where the student stays overnight.

Students are enrolled based on the primary residential parent’s address.

  • Full Custody: Copy of legal custody papers or Parenting Plan.
  • Guardianship or Temporary Custody: Copy of legal custody papers or Parenting Plan.
  • Joint Custody: Copy of legal custody papers including a copy of the Parenting Plan that has been signed by a judge and notarized.<
  • Parents Married Not Living Together but no Legal Separation: School is determined by where the child resides overnight. Parent must reside in Williamson County.
  • Parents Not Married and Not Living Together: A certified copy of birth certificate showing legality of parent and parent’s photo ID is required for enrollment. Mother is the default custodian if there are no court documents stating otherwise.
  • Whereabouts of One Parent Unknown: A certified copy of birth certificate showing legality of parent and parent’s photo ID is required for enrollment.