Library & Technology Resources
The library at Sunset Middle School encourages all students become socially responsible independent library users, life-long learners, and to develop a love of reading. The library also supports the instructional program and curriculum of the school with an emphasis on information literacy. To provide maximum access to the its resources, the library operates on a flexible schedule and is open to students throughout the day. The library staff is committed to providing enthusiastic support of reading in all formats as a means of personal fulfillment, lifelong learning, and success in the classroom.
Mission & Strategies
The mission of Sunset Middle School’s Library Media Center is to support the learning process by providing a wide range of resources that will give each student an opportunity to achieve academic success. The librarian assists students, teachers and staff in becoming effective users of information, foster a love or reading and partner with teachers to teach information literacy skills.
- Select and organize materials for research projects
- Assist students in finding appropriate materials
- Provide multi-media resources for students and teachers
- Train students and staff in information literacy skills
- Maintain the library’s print, electronic and multimedia collection
- Develop the library’s collection to represent current and authoritative information
- Collaborate with teachers to plan and implement lessons, incorporating technology whenever possible
- Choose high quality, appropriate, and contemporary materials for pleasure reading
Media Center Policies
- The library is open daily from 7:20 AM – 3:00 PM, students may visit the library any time during these hours.
- Students leaving a study hall or class must bring a pass to the circulation desk from the teacher that includes: student name, teacher name, date and time.
- Students may check out up to five books at a time.
- Books are checked out for three weeks with two renewals.
- Overdue fines are 10 cents per day; fines may be waived by donating to various food and/or clothing drives.
- Students who lose and/or damage books must pay the replacement price.
Media Center Staff
The Sunset Middle library staff are dedicated to helping students succeed in middle school and develop a life-long love of reading. Please contact library staff with concerns or questions.