The purpose of our ESL Program is reflected in Student Programming Goal of the WCS School Board’s Strategic Plan: “Williamson County Schools will offer high-quality, equitable student programming and facilities to produce graduates prepared to further study and compete in a global society by being fluent in English…”
The mission of the Williamson County ESL Department is to meet the needs of English Language Learners and help them achieve the high academic standards expected of all students.
Our program educates and acculturates ESL students in a way that respects individual diversity, ability, intellect and character. The ESL Department provides English classes to non-native English speakers who qualify for services. We support students and teachers through a variety of services including:
- Pull-out Programs
- Scheduled ESL classes
- Inclusion Support
- Other Appropriate Resources
All of our services are available to any WCS student who has been identified as an English Language Learner by the approved TN Department of Education language proficiency assessment.
The curriculum is designed to meet the needs of students at each level of English proficiency through:
- English reading, writing, grammar, listening, and speaking skills
- one-on-one or small group instruction
- daily instruction for credit ESL classes in high schools
- curriculum that corresponds to WCS Scope and Sequence
- close collaboration with classroom teachers
- vocabulary building and communication techniques
- materials and strategies according to student needs
The Office of Civil Rights protects and permits any appropriate support services for which English Language Learners qualify.