How do I get my driver’s permit?

First, you must be at least age 15 and then you need to study the Tennessee Driver’s Handbook (available online and paper copies are free at the DMV) then when you feel confident go to the DMV and take your permit test.

What does a driver’s permit earn me?

With a driver’s permit you can legally drive on the road, as long as a licensed driver at least age 21 is in the passenger seat.

How do I get my Intermediate Restricted Driver’s License?

You must be age 16, have had your permit for a minimum of 180 days, driven a minimum of 50 hours during the day and 10 hours during the night. After all of these requirements are filled, you can go to the DMV to take your driver’s test.You have to go online to sign up for the date and time. Before your driver’s test appointment I recommend driving around in the area of the DMV at which you will take your test. When you have your Intermediate Restricted Driver’s License you are only allowed one passenger, and cannot drive between the hours of 10PM and 6AM on Monday-Thursday and 11PM-6AM Friday-Sunday.

How do I get my Intermediate Unrestricted Driver’s License?

You must be 17 years old, and have had your Intermediate Restricted Driver’s License for one calendar year. Your Intermediate Unrestricted Driver’s License will be mailed to you at which point you have filled these requirements. Once you have obtained your Intermediate Unrestricted Driver’s License you cannot drive between the hours of 11PM and 6AM on Monday-Thursday and 12PM-6AM Friday-Sunday.

What if I am 18 years old?

You must hold a driver’s permit for 2 weeks and then you can get your Driver’s License.

The upperclassmen’s messages to new drivers:

“Put the phone down,” Spencer Quinonez.

“Make sure to use two hands and keep your eyes on the road. A good understanding of the law is vital to avoid tickets and points that only waste hard earned money,” Max Poloskey.

“Don’t show off your driving skills because at the end of the day no one cares,” Tristen Thacker.